The federal government continues to release details about a historic collaboration between the Government of Canada and the Province of Ontario.
In July 2021, the two governments announced $1.2 billion to fund high-speed internet access to communities across Ontario. The announcement benefits 280,000 homes. The federal government has been releasing a steady stream of statements detailing which telecom companies will participate in the process.
Here is the most recent breakdown:
- Bell received five contracts worth over $93 million to bring high-speed internet access to more than 16,000 households.
- Digital Infrastructure Group received one contract worth $45 million to improve access for 13,448 homes.
- Cogeco Connexion received two contracts totalling$6.2 million to improve access for 1,141 homes.
- Keewaytinook Okimakanak received $59.4 million to benefit 3,242 homes.
- Matawa First Nations Management received $62.6 million to bring high-speed internet to 689 households.
This is the third announcement focusing on the $1.2 billion investment the government made in the last week. The previous two detailed a collective $201 million in funding.
Image credit: Shutterstock