Update: BlackBerry has issued a press release stating that BBM is coming to Android on September 21st, iPhone on September 22nd.
BlackBerry reps informed the masses a couple days ago that “we’ll be bringing the app to Android and iPhone users across the globe soon.” Another hint that the 20th date may occur is a post with some sort of invite to a BBM event in Jakarta. In addition, CrackBerry has received several details about the pending release on both platforms with the following release schedule for Android and iPhone:
– Friday, Sept 20th, 7am EST: Android version published on Google Play
– Friday, Sept 20th, 7am EST: BBM.com goes live
– Friday, Sept 20th, 7am EST: CRM messages sent out to pre-registrants
– Friday, Sept 20th, 7am EST: Follow-up CRM message sent after App Store deployment
– Saturday, Sept 21st: BBM on iOS becomes available 12:01am EST in local time zones
We’ll soon see – hopefully all this is true.
BBM for Android will require OS 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich or higher and BBM for the iPhone is compatible for those running iOS6 or higher. The app will operate in the same fashion as BBM on BlackBerry devices, however it’ll be limited to messaging and groups at launch.