Samsung and EA Mobile enter into app distribution deal through indie publisher Chillingo

Daniel Bader

February 7, 2013 10:08am

Samsung hasn’t had much success with its Samsung Apps portal, pre-installed on all recent Android devices. The reason is fairly self-explanatory: why purchase from the corner store, which has bread of questionable quality, when there’s a Walmart down the street with fare that’s fresh, albeit mass-produced? With the tremendous growth of Android’s Market, which morphed into Google Play this past year, there is little reason for anyone to buy the same product from Samsung’s proprietary Android app portal.

There are some decent titles inside Samsung Apps, with French publisher Gameloft throwing its weight into promotions and other fare. But Samsung has yet to really attract any interest from the developer community as there is no incentive to do so. To this end, the company, in collaboration with EA Mobile’s indie gaming division Chillingo, has decided to attract independent developers by offering 100% of the profits between March and September of this year. The enterprise is called ‘100% Indie’ and it’s an initiative to encourage game devs to prune their software with the help of seasoned veterans, and make some good money doing so.

“Developers will receive 100% revenue from March 4, 2013 – September 3, 2013, 90% revenue share from September 4, 2013 – March 3, 2014, 80% revenue share from March 4, 2014 – March 3, 2015, and after March 4, 2015 on Samsung Apps, developers will begin receiving the industry-standard 70% revenue share.”

While, independently, this may be seen as a minor play in the larger world of app curation, it speaks to Samsung’s desire to reduce its reliance on Google for its developer livelihood. Amazon is a great example of a company that has, through a forked version of Android and an independent Android-based app store, diverted developer and consumer attention away from the Play Store. Samsung may never remove itself entirely from Android, but it will do whatever it takes to make more money from developers.

Source: 100% Indie
Via: 148Apps 

  • Trotsky

    Problem with this is that Samsung is forking a fork.

    Nobody except Samsung Android devices owners might care about the Samsung store.

    Google Play is accessible to 100% of Android owners, which make up around 54% of the total smartphone market. And about all of its user base will use Google Play to buy their apps, so that’s roughly 54% of the market going to Google Play to a certain extent.

    Let’s say Samsung Apps is installed on all Samsung Android devices. Samsung has around 21% of the market, or about 39% of all Android devices. That leaves 61% of all Android owners not even having access or caring about Samsung Apps. And then of these 39%, Samsung would be lucky if a quarter, or roughly 10% of all Android owners, gave a damn about their Samsung Apps store. This adds up to about 5.5% of all smartphone owners. Hell, even if you make it half of all Samsung Android device owners going to the Samsung Apps store and buying apps there instead of Google Play, it adds up to slightly less than 11% of all smartphone owners.

    While Google and its Google Play store, as a whole, has around 54%, including all of those who also have access to the Samsung Apps store, which would become useless if one were to change to a Motorola or HTC device, while purchases on the Google Play store would still be accessible.

    Let’s say they have work to do.

    • Trotsky

      *would also add that when I say “100% of Android owners” I’m excluding, of course, the Amazon fork, so that might screw my percentages a bit, but not by much.

  • WoodenPickle

    Don’t forget that Samsung’s Nexus devices don’t include the Samsung Store. So there goes all Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus, and Nexus 10 users.

  • hooliganpants

    also, that if you’re a publisher with an “indie division”, they’re not really indie. just sayin