RIM has pushed out an OS update for the BlackBerry PlayBook. Version 188.8.131.524 is now available for download and you can upgrade this by going to the “Setting” menus and check “Software Updates”. The upgrade includes several features that include video uploading and search enhancements for Facebook for PlayBook, more languages (French, Italian, German, Spanish, Dutch and UK English), support for In-App payments and but probably the best upgrade is to the battery. RIM has now made it possible to charge the PlayBook while its turned off and also you can now touch the battery indicator to adjust display brightness. Full details are below of all the updates:
– Facebook for BlackBerry PlayBook — The first Facebook app optimized for tablets now comes preloaded and introduces new features including video uploading, message deletion, Facebook search enhancements and more
– In-App Payments Support — Enables developers to create apps for the BlackBerry PlayBook using the BlackBerry Payment Service, which will allow users to purchase enhancements within apps such as another level in a game or a new edition of a magazine
– Additional Language Support — Updates language support to include: French, Italian, German, Spanish, Dutch and UK English
– BlackBerry PlayBook Charging Enhancements — By simply touching the battery indicator on the BlackBerry PlayBook home screen, users can easily adjust the screen brightness or choose to restart, turn off, or put the tablet into standby mode. Other charging improvements include the ability to charge the PlayBook while it is turned off, as well as an on-screen alert to notify users if they accidentally have plugged in an incorrect charger into their BlackBerry PlayBook
– Video Chat Connectivity — Adds support for the TURN (Traversal Using Relay NAT) protocol, which enhances Video Chat connections between users on home, public and enterprise Wi-Fi networks
– Wi-Fi Hotspot Detection — Automatic Wi-Fi hotspot detection in the BlackBerry Tablet OS v1.0.5 makes it easier to connect to a Wi-Fi hotspot (at a coffee shop or an airport, for example)
– Headset Audio Boost – This new option allows you to add an extra level of volume to help maintain an enjoyable audio experience with your headset in noisier areas, such as airplanes.