Pebble has has announced a new update to its Android app that brings the software to version 2.3 and adds compatibility for Android Wear. So if an app’s notifications are already compatible with Android Wear, then it’s also compatible with notifications for the Pebble. This update will also allow users the ability to respond to new events directly on the watch thanks to actionable notifications.
This new functionality is technically not available yet. It won’t be out in the official version of the Pebble for Android app for a while (Pebble has yet to offer an release date) but the company is opening up the Pebble Beta Testing Group to everyone. It’s removing the need for an invitation so once you sign up for the group, you can enjoy Pebble for Android 2.3 in all its glory. Check out the full release notes below:
- NEW: Android Wear Notifications. Reply and act on Android app notifications on Pebbles running Firmware v2.9 (in Beta) or higher.
- NEW: Support for Android 4.0+ devices. Pebble’s latest Android app (v2.2) previously required devices running 4.3 (Jelly Bean) or higher.
- NEW: Auto app updates. When available, updated apps and watchfaces will be installed on Pebble at times when the watch is idle (e.g. charging).
- FIXED: Issues with Whatsapp notifications
- DEVELOPERS: UTF-8 support in PebbleKit JS
- Bug fixes and stability improvements.
- Users wishing to beta test this Pebble app must have a device running Android 4.0 or higher.
- Download the Pebble Android App (2.3 Beta) by joining our Beta Testing Group.
- After installing and opening the Android Beta app, you will be prompted to update your Pebble to a Beta version (2.9) of the Firmware (required to use the new features in the 2.3 Android app). If this does not happen automatically, select Support » Check for Updates to install the 2.9 Beta Firmware.
- Report bugs and issues by selecting Support » Contact Support from the Pebble Android Beta App.