Apple today announced its newest 4-inch smartphone, the iPhone SE. Featuring the same design as the iPhone 5s and set to ship with iOS 9.3, the SE ships with many of the features found in the recently released iPhone 6s.
One of the more notable improvements over the iPhone 5s is the camera, which is now rated at 12-megapixels and is capable of capturing 4K video and Live Photos. In addition, the iPhone 5se brings support for Apple Pay and includes Apple’s latest A9 processor. The device is missing the 3D Touch tech found in the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus.
Apple iPhone SE specs
- iOS 9.3
- 2GB RAM
- A9 processor
- 4.0-inch display (1136 x 640 resolution, 326 ppi)
- 16/64GB internal storage
- 12-megapixel iSight camera capable of shooting 4K at a resolution of 3840 x 2160
- 1.2-megapixel FaceTime camera
- Three-axis gyro sensor, as well as accelerometer, proximity sensor and ambient light sensor
- Wi-Fi calling, NFC, VoLTE, Bluetooth 4.2, Fingerprint sensor
- 123.8 x 58.6 x 7.6 mm, 113 grams
- LTE connectivity, WiFi 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi‑Fi
The iPhone SE is up for pre-order in Canada starting March 24th and available for sale on March 31st. The pricing is as follows:
– 16GB: $579 (CAD) unlocked.
– 64GB: $709 (CAD) unlocked.
Colour options: Space Grey, Silver, Gold and Rose Gold.
There will also be Apple-designed accessories that include leather cases in black and midnight blue for $49 (CAD), and Lightning Docks for $59 (CAD).
Update: While contract pricing is not yet known, we have confirmed that the 4-inch iPhone SE will be available at Rogers, Fido, Telus, Videotron and Bell. Pre-orders will go live beginning on March 24th for Rogers, Fido and Videotron, with Bell going live on March 31st. No indication yet from Telus. In addition, we are waiting to hear back from the other Canadian carriers.