Essential confirmed in a tweet that it will continue to support the Essential Phone phone despite rumours that founder Andy Rubin is looking to sell the company.
Worries over Essential’s future began growing last week, and some users are understandably concerned about the future of their phone. Some users took to Twitter, responding to Essential’s tweet about Android P availability. They wondered how much longer the company would be updating phones.
2 years of software updates and 3 years of security patches.
— Essential (@essential) May 25, 2018
Essential responded that it will provide two years of software updates and three years of security patches.
Of all the Android manufacturers, Essential has been one of the best when it comes to software updates. It has been right behind Google for every security patch released, with some exceptions for larger updates. PH-1 users can expect most updates within a few days of Google updating its own Pixel devices.
With the fragmented ecosystem of Android, that kind of update speed is rare. It would definitely be a loss if the rumours prove true and Essential does go under.
We always have multiple products in development at the same time and we embrace canceling some in favor of the ones we think will be bigger hits. We are putting all of our efforts towards our future, game-changing products, which include mobile and home products.
— Andy Rubin (@Arubin) May 24, 2018
That being said, company founder Andy Rubin took to Twitter to dispel concerns. The Information also reported on an internal email from Rubin that said Essential was not getting shut down.
There might not be a team to push those updates if Essential gets split apart and bought by different companies.