A Samsung Galaxy S III user in Ireland recently claimed that while he was driving his newly-purchased phone suddenly exploded, bringing white smoke, sparks and a loud bang. Samsung was quick to respond and stated they were “aware of this issue and will begin investigating as soon as we receive the specific product in question.”
Well, the investigation process is over and Samsung has your answer. Samsung worked with Fire Investigations UK to uncover the reason for the burnt GS3 and found that an “external energy source was the cause for the GALAXY SIII.” The report continued to say that “the only way it was possible to produce damage similar to the damage recorded within the owner’s damaged device was to place the devices or component parts within a domestic microwave.”
Nice. So the original claims were false. What’s even worse is now that the truth has surfaced the person who originally posted the claim, dillo2k10 on Boards.ie, has backtracked and said “I would like to retract my original statement. The damage to the phone was caused by another person, although they were attempting to recover the phone from water this later caused the damage shown on the phone. It occurred due to a large amount of external energy and there was no fault with the phone. This was not a deliberate act but a stupid mistake.”
Stupid mistake. Yup.
Source: Samsung Tomorrow