Our friends at Boy Genius are reporting a possible massive rumour in the making: T-Mobile might be coming to Canada. Here is a sample of what some of the circulating rumours:
- Deutsche Telekom has been pre-approved for a financing and protocol agreement which will allow them to introduce T-Mobile to the Canadian market (subject to restrictions in all provinces except Ontario during a 6, 12 and 18 month trial period that expires in 2010), and also pre-approves them for testing roaming, cell tower reception and international data agreements.
- In compliance with Canadian Business Ethics law, a Canadian citizen will lead the Canadian division of Deutsche Telekom.
- Deutsche Telekom already owns the name T-Mobile in Canada under a US Parent Office international exchange program.
- They plan to launch T-Mobile in Canada in 2009.
- Currently, Rogers is the only GSM carrier in Canada. With T-Mobile’s possible entrance into the Canadian market, data rates are going to drop. Deutsche Telekom also plans to introduce an unlimited BlackBerry plans to the Canadian market to be priced at $75/month.
- T-Mobile Canada is set to offer many of the devices in the USA such as the Sidekick line and T-Mobile’s HTC products… and maybe the long awaited Apple iPhone!
Another great point is how this will effect the current lawsuit going on with Telus regarding the “My Faves” issue.