One of the coolest products I saw today at CES was the Powerbag. This line of backpacks, messenger bags and “professional” cases incorporates the connectors that we need every day to keep our devices charged, including iPhone, microUSB and regular USB ports.
The bags, depending on the size, come with interchangeable 3000, 6000, or 9000mAh battery cells that can be purchased separately for added longevity. Most of the bags retail between $140 and $200 US.
You can charge up to four devices at once using the larger bags, which plug into the wall in order to recharge the removable cells. Depending on the device, the system will provide the right amount of voltage depending on the device, to optimize charging speed while maintaining safety.
We’ll be getting a sample of a couple of bags for review in the coming weeks. Pics and full PR after the break.
POWERBAG, THE ULTIMATE SURVIVAL GEAR FOR THE DIGITAL AGE, GETS CARRIED AWAY AT CES
CES Innovations 2012 Design and Engineering Award Honoree Puts Battery Power in the Bag
LAS VEGAS and COMMERCE TOWNSHIP, Mich. – January 9, 2012 – Out in the urban jungle, the tech gadgets we rely on most tend to let us down with batteries dying quicker than ever. The solution? Powerbag, a collection of backpacks, messenger bags, slings and more that charge mobile devices right in the bag.
RFA Brands, creators of Powerbag, will showcase its latest collections of stylish and functional bags with a built-in smart battery and pre-routed charging cables at the International Consumer Electronic Show (CES) in Las Vegas, January 10-13, 2012, in North Hall, Booth #4610, at the Las Vegas Convention Center. Powerbag was recently named a CES Innovations 2012 Award Honoree.
Powerbag is the ultimate charging system disguised as the coolest bag you’ll ever use. Seamlessly integrated into every Powerbag is the exclusive universal smart-charging system, which powers mobile devices that can be charged using a USB cable, including iPad, iPhone, iPod and most leading smartphones, MP3 players, tablets, eReaders, Bluetooth headsets and more, right in the bag.
“Powerbag was created to provide a real solution to the fast growing collection of power-hungry digital devices all of us carry and rely on to stay connected to work, family and friends,” said Ron Ferber, President of RFA Brands, creator of Powerbag. “Our new, expanded portfolio of Powerbag styles offers something for gadget lovers of all ages, from the student, to the business executive, to the young, creative urbanite who lives an always connected digital life.”
How Powerbag Works:
– Powerbag comes with a built-in, lightweight, rechargeable and removable battery for “charge on the go” capability (3000 mAh, 6000 mAh or 9000 mAh batteries available). Plug your Powerbag into any standard wall outlet with the included AC adapter to recharge the internal battery.
– Connect up to four (4) mobile devices at a time using the included pre-routed connectors (1 micro, 1 mini, 1 Apple) and one USB port inside every Powerbag; keep devices connected or plug-in when you need more power.
– The exclusive, universal Powerbag smart-charging system will automatically detect the connected devices in the bag and send the right amount of power to optimally charge each one.
– When plugged in, Powerbag will charge all connected devices first and then charge its own battery.
– Powerbag comes charged and ready to go for immediate use! New Powerbag Collections for 2012:
– Powerbag will introduce several bags from its three collections this year, including:
1. Urban Collection – For the young urbanite, these sleek bags accommodate everything for an on- the-go digital lifestyle, including special pockets for your tablet, cellphone and MP3 player. The collection will feature the Underground Backpack, Crosstown Messenger, and Rebel Backpack.
2.Executive Collection – For the professional that values form and function, these bags are equipped with the latest in traveler conveniences like the TSA-friendly “Fly Flat” feature as well as a larger battery for extended use. This collection will host the Business Class Pack backpack, the Instant Messenger, Rolling Office and Business Class Case.
3. Fūl Collection – Fūl designs stylish bags that appeal to a diverse set of shoppers and lifestyles from students to seasoned business professionals on-the-go. These bags house the ultimate charging system disguised as the coolest bag you’ll ever use. Bags in this collection include the Deluxe Backpack, Backpack, Sling, Tablet Messenger, Messenger and Wheeled Briefcase.
Powerbag is available now starting at $139.99, at Best Buy, OfficeMax, QVC, F.Y.E., WirelessZone, Amazon.com, select college and airport stores, and at www.myPowerbag.com.