The Pre should have come loaded with a video recorder but doesn’t and for those who have one and are waiting for Palm to release an official app you might have to wait a bit longer.
We’ve seen attempts at video in the past, but a homebrew app has been created that looks like the real deal. It’s called “Precorder” and it’s still in Alpha stage but it allows you to capture 480×320-pixel video at 30fps in H.264/AVC format. In addition you can record in dark areas as it uses the built-in LED light, plus has audio… the only thing it’s currently lacking is the ability to preview your video.
There is a video of what a video looks like below. According to the download page on WebOS Internals here are the instructions to download…(We have not done it and you can do it at your own risk):
Easiest installation method is by installing GstService and Precorder with WebOS Quick Install.
- Save the gstservice and and Precorder ipk’s to your local computer.
- Install WebOS Quick Install
- Drag the gstservice IPK into the center of the WebOS Quick install window.
- Click the Install button.
- Drag the Precorder application ipk into the center of the WebOS Quick Install window.
- Click the install button.
Via: IntoMobile & Engadget