Sony on Thursday reported its third quarter financial results for the 2014 fiscal year and has revised its outlook for the year based on the its performance in the quarter ended December 31st.
Because of delays resulting from the Sony Pictures hack, Sony said today that it had opted to disclose forecasted results, which include an estimated of the impact of the cyberattack. However, the company is disclosing the actual results of its other
segments, whose results were not impacted by the cyberattack. Sony posted a forecasted total of $1.51 billion in operating profit for the quarter as well as a forecasted net profit of $756 million (all numbers USD).
Outside of consolidated results, the company confirmed that it shipped just shy of 12 million smartphones, an increase of 27 percent over the same period in 2013. This brought in $80 million in profit for Sony and revenue for the mobile division grew from $2.8 billion to $3.6 billion. However, the company’s mobile division still posted a loss thanks to the massive impairment charge it warned us about last year.
The company had said last year that it hoped to sell 50 million smartphones for the fiscal year ended March 2015. That figure was revised to 43 million and then again to 41 million over the last six months or so. Now the company forecasts smartphone sales of 39.2 million units.
The company also announced plans to cut 1,100 more jobs from its mobile unit by March of 2016. This is in addition to the staff that were cut last year and is confirmation of the reports we heard last week. As we reported in late-January, this fresh round of layoffs brings the head count in Sony’s mobile division down to 5,000.