Wearables & Gadgets

Omate X smartwatch lasts a week, promises compatibility with Android and iOS

It’s been a year since Omate’s TrueSmart watch first landed on Kickstarter and it seems the company is ready for version 2.0. In an update to the original Kickstarter campaign, Omate yesterday gave backers of the original watch a sneak peek at the Omate X, which will follow in the footsteps of most other smartwatches on the market and focus on notifications.

The Omate had the information on the Omate X locked down and only available to backers of the original Kickstarter. Today, the company released full details of the device as well as the image above via its Facebook pages. It looks a lot like the Pebble Steel, which is exactly the type of device it’s competing with.

Unlike the original Omate TrueSmart watch, which could actually function as a standalone device, the Omate X is a companion device through and through, focusing on notifications. Omate reasons that while the TrueWatch is for the 10% of your time that you spend on outdoor activities, the Omate X is for the other 90% of your time. To that end, it lasts a whole week on a single charge and is compatible with iOS and Android.

The Omate X doesn’t exactly innovate on the “traditional” smartwatch aesthetic, which frankly leaves a lot to be desired, but it does look an awful lot better than the TrueWatch. It’s fitted with a 22mm genuine leather strap with a metal frame surrounding the display. Omate says it’s a fashion statement, but you likely won’t love it if you haven’t already fallen for the Pebble.

Priced at $129, the Omate X will go up for preorder on September 1. The first 1,000 preorders will be engraved with an “Early Bird / Limited Edition” serial number.


MobileSyrup may earn a commission from purchases made via our links, which helps fund the journalism we provide free on our website. These links do not influence our editorial content. Support us here.

Related Articles