On May 8th, 2019 Canadians will receive a text alert on their mobile device from the Alert Ready Emergency Alert System.
On May 8, the national Alert Ready service will be sending a test of the emergency alert system. Alerts notify compatible devices of possible life-threatening or emergency situations that may impact you. No action is required. Visit https://t.co/wX9b4s1jPd for details.
— Bell (@Bell) April 3, 2019
On May 8th, every compatible mobile device connected to an LTE network will receive a notification from the “wireless public alerting” (WPA) system. By the end of this month, all wireless devices for sale in Canada must be WPA-compatible. Canadians using television or radio will also be alerted.
Here is the schedule for the test alerts:
- Alberta – 1:55 PM (MDT)
- British-Colombia – 1:55 PM (PDT)
- Manitoba – 1:55 PM (CDT)
- New-Brunswick – 10:55 AM (ADT)
- Newfoundland & Labrador – 10:55 AM (NDT)
- Northwest Territories – 1:55 PM (MDT)
- Nova Scotia – 1:55 PM (ADT)
- Nunavut – 1:55 PM (EDT)
- Ontario – No test due to flooding
- Quebec – No test due to flooding
- Prince Edward Island – 12:55 PM (ADT)
- Saskatchewan – 1:55 PM (CST)
- Yukon – 1:55 PM (PDT)