Don’t call it taking a page from Apple’s playbook — or, for that matter, Samsung or Microsoft’s either — but Google just opened a number of ‘Google Shops’ at several Best Buy locations across Canada.
The two companies say the “innovative” partnership is the first of its kind in North America. Like similar retail spaces from Apple and Microsoft, Google Shops will offer Canadian consumers the chance to see and touch the search giant’s latest gadgets, including the just launched Pixel and Pixel XL, as well as Daydream View and Chromecast Ultra when they arrive in Canada later this year.
Each of the locations is a set to offer one-on-one appointments with trained product staff, as well as weekly workshops that cover a range of topics related to the devices on sale.
To start, 10 of the planned 14 locations open today. Four larger Google Shops will open later in the year at Best Buy stores in Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary and Mississauga.
Update: Best Buy has just sent us the full list of 10 Google Shops opening today. They’re located with the company’s newly renovated “Experience Stores,” which can be found in the following locations:
- Bramalea City Centre, 25 Peel Centre Dr, Unit 451, Brampton, ON, L6T 3R5
- 810 St. James St, Unit A, Winnipeg, MB, R3G 3J7
- 420 Vansickle Rd, Bldg L, Unit 1, St. Catharines, ON, L2S 0C7
- 17539 Stony Plain Rd NW, Edmonton, AB, T5S 2S1
- 1701 Merivale Rd., Nepean, ON, K2G 3K2
- 2500 Winston Park Dr., Unit A, Oakville, ON, L6H 7E5
- 167 North Queen St., Etobicoke, ON, M9C 1A7
- 2929 Barnet Hwy., Unit 2140, Coquitlam, BC, V3B 5R5
- Central City, 10153 King George Highway, Unit 3200, Surrey, BC, V3T 2W1
- 6200 McKay Ave., Unit 200, Burnaby, BC, V5H 4L7