17

Apple: 74% of devices are using iOS 7

iphone5creview2-8

Apple has created a chart that shows what version of iOS people are using when then visit the App Store. This is similar to Google’s monthly Android Distribution chart, or something that BlackBerry once reported.

After the iPhone 5c and 5s were released Apple declared its newly revamped OS saw an immediate jump to 64% of iOS devices were running iOS 7, which CEO Tim Cook proudly stated was “the fastest software upgrade in history.”

appleios

Now 3-months in, Apple has revealed that 74% of devices that visit the App Store are using iOS 7, which is an increase of 10% in 4-weeks. In addition, many users are sticking by the older versions of iOS. A healthy group is using iOS 6 (22%), and 4% are pleasantly enjoying iOS 5 or before.

Source: Apple
Via: TechCrunch

  • Jesse Laurin

    I will give this hats off to apple, as a long time android fan, I find it so frustrating that you never know which phone from which company is going to get ICS/jellybean/KitKat etc .. iOS7 comes out, all phones, and all carriers get it on the same day , and I’m stuck searching google every few weeks to see when my phone will get an update (if chosen to even get an update at all)

    • deltatux

      If system updates are so important to you, you should have gotten a Nexus device. However, that being said, most people wouldn’t really notice that there’s an update nor care about it because Android has pretty much matured and only hardcore smartphone users or security people would really care for Android system updates.

      Unlike iOS, most Android apps still work from Android 2.2+ with only those who went ICS requires at least Android 4.x to work. Other than that, most apps still retain support since the Android 2.2 days.

  • howitzerr

    100% of iPhone user are are 3-4 major Android versions late on features

    • Sequoia46.2

      Lol, so true!

    • marorun1982

      yeah don’t feel like you missing much even if you are on ics. so it’s not that’s vital.. currently using a Sony Z1 on 4.2.2 and it’s run greats.

  • Rich

    As an Android user, I have to admit it does get tedious relying on OS updates or trying out buggy roms, all of which have a problem or two which prevents it from being perfect. Don’t get me started on how every android app update is a gamble as to whether they made the program better or worse which seems to vary based on phone.

    If it wasn’t for the Apple tax, I’d definitely drop a few features for a phone that “just works.”

    • Omis

      I am getting kind of sick of companies promising an update then saying hell with that buy our new phone.

  • marorun1982

    You have no choice to go to ios 7 because most new apps won’t work on older ios or become unstable. On other hand it’s not this way on android some app require a minimal version but most work with all version or almost.

    • SV650

      Not at all my experience with my 4 year old 3GS. Although it will not load OS7, the apps on it are not only working, but if new apps come available, I am offered to retain the most recent version that works with OS6.

    • marorun1982

      working at Telus here and I have lots of clients having this problem but the worst are the one with iPhone 4 it’s really not working well with ios 7 it’s lag and battery empty up very fast. At least now the 5S has lots less problems. Only one my client had no problem is the 5c I received no complain for bug ect. The reception on the 5c is worst than the 4s.. anyhow you entitle to your point of view but unless you work directly selling/repairing them you can’t really see the reality.

  • Sequoia46.2

    I added 1 device to that iOS 6 pool, updated one app on my 4th gen iPod touch. Apple doesn’t update all of their decices.. It’s stuck on 6 next to iPhone 3Gs

  • unhappypappi

    10% of users got forced into upgrade by app restrictions. Every day I run into an app I can’t install because I won’t be forced into ios7

    • marorun1982

      that’s what I am saying.. and app not updated for ios 7 will also crash from time to time even more if it’s a 5S

  • Gerhardt

    its oh so magical!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  • Scott

    So is Apple starting to see OS fragmentation that has been plaguing Android since inception? It certainly appears that way.

    • gab_gagnon

      You call it fragmentation when 75% of devices in nature are on the latest OS? The other 25% is probably iOS6…

  • Austin

    Who cares!

Trending News

Other Articles