October 30, 2013 11:18am
We’re receiving reports that some Canadian HTC 8X users are receiving an update to Windows Phone GDR3. This is quite surprising since, though Microsoft had announced the update itself, no Canadian carriers committed to releasing it.
At least one carrier we know of, Bell, has begun rolling out version 8.0.10501.127 to their 8X customers, bringing some modest but important improvements to their Windows Phone 8 devices.
- Accessibility. We’ve made several improvements for customers who are visually impaired.
- Storage. Now you can easily free up storage space on your phone and manage temporary files. New categories show what’s taking up space.
- Driving Mode. Feeling distracted behind the wheel? Driving Mode allows you to minimize incoming calls and text messages to help you focus on the road.
- Screen. Reading emails in bed? You can lock your screen orientation so it doesn’t shift when you move your phone around.
- Wi-Fi. Start preserving cellular data on your phone right out of the box—you can now connect to Wi-Fi during set up.
- Internet sharing. Now you can use your phone’s cellular data connection from your Microsoft Windows 8.1 devices by pairing them over Bluetooth.
- Bluetooth. Several fixes were made to address known issues, and improvements were made to connection quality for Bluetooth accessories.
- Ringtones. Do more with ringtones now. Assign ringtones for text messages, so you’ll know who’s texting you without even looking. Use your custom ringtones for more things—text messages, instant messages, emails, voicemail, and reminders.
- App switcher. Don’t look back. Now you can use the App switcher to quickly close apps when you’re finished with them.
- Other improvements. Includes many other improvements to Windows Phone.
Nokia has announced its own version of the GDR3 update called Lumia Black that rolls all these improvements, along with some Nokia-specific features, into one download.
Have you seen this update on your device yet? Let us know.