October 8, 2009 8:29am
Every year Maclean’s and The Globe and Mail announce what organizations make the cut to be crowned as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers.
Employers are evaluated and compared to other organizations by 8 separate criteria: (1) Physical Workplace; (2) Work Atmosphere & Social; (3) Health, Financial & Family Benefits; (4) Vacation & Time Off; (5) Employee Communications; (6) Performance Management; (7) Training & Skills Development; and (8) Community Involvement.
This year when it specifically comes to telecom or the mobile space, RIM, MTS, SaskTel and TELUS make the top 100.
Each organization was chosen for different reason, but a few examples are:
– gives new employees a free BlackBerry
– offers employees free memberships to their onsite fitness facility
– pays generous referral bonuses (to $3000) when employees refer someone successfully hired by the company
– gives all new employees three weeks of paid vacation to start
– lets all employees share in the company’s success through a profit-sharing plan and year-end bonuses
– helps employees save for retirement with a defined contribution pension plan
– supports a variety of alternative work options, including flex hours, reduced summer hours with full pay
Check out the complete list here