August 9, 2012 3:04 pm
FlightTrack has long been the highest-grossing plane tracking app for iOS and Android, with a huge list of features and an even bigger price tag. Sold for $4.99 with an optional $9.99 Pro version, the app put itself out of reach to a lot of frugal travellers.
Mobiata, the company behind the popular app, has launched FlightTrack Free for Android and iOS in response to the demand for a no-cost version with a bare-minimum feature set. Not only has the app been completely redesigned with a native Holo interface for Android and a simple, intuitive design on iOS, but on both platforms animations are smooth and a pleasure to interact with.
The full feature set is below:
- Completely redesigned interface that integrates the flight details and flight map
- Real-time departure & arrival info, delays, gate numbers and baggage claim info
- Zoomable maps with satellite imagery
- Covers more than 16,000 airports worldwide
- Full international flight coverage with 1,400 airlines
- Search and track a single flight at a time
The paid and paid Pro versions obviously offer a wider range of features, including custom alerts, tracking multiple flights at once and, on Android, self-updating widgets along with full tablet support.