SwiftKey 3, one of our favourite third-party Android keyboards, has come out of beta today and is launching its new version with a half-off sale.
The keyboard has improved significantly since its inception, and now that it has come out of beta the changelog is pretty extensive. We’ve been using the beta almost exclusively over the past few months and prefer it to competitors such as Swype (though we understand how Swype would be preferable to some users).
- Smart Space – adding to SwiftKey’s already cutting edge correction, Smart Space detects mistyped or omitted spaces across strings of poorly typed words in real-time.
- Two new themes – a new theme, ‘Cobalt’, to match SwiftKey’s new look and feel, and an Ice Cream Sandwich-styled ‘Holo’ theme, as voted for by SwiftKey’s VIP community.
- An enhanced UI – a much larger space bar and smart punctuation key help improve accuracy and make it quick and easy to access common punctuation.
- Additional languages – SwiftKey 3 now offers support for an additional seven languages, bringing the total up to 42. The new languages are Korean, Estonian, Farsi, Icelandic, Latvian, Lithuanian and Serbian.
- A dedicated comma key, and the key in the bottom-left corner.
- Refined Smart Punctuation pop-up for better, more consistent behaviour.
- Improved Smart Space functionality for easier email addresses and URL entry.
- Reduced lag on some devices for a more responsive experience.
- Reintroduction of the long-press duration setting by popular request.
- Further improved prediction algorithms for even more accurate next word suggestions.
- Updated gestures for easier shortcuts.
- Several bug fixes.
In addition to this announcement, SwiftKey is launching its Healthcare initiative to make it easier for nurses and doctors to take notes quickly and accurately on tablets.
SwiftKey 3 is now available from Google Play for $1.99, which is half off its $3.99 numbers.