Samsung’s Galaxy S III is on its way to becoming a worldwide bestseller, but this is really the first bit of bad news we’ve heard from a new owner of the device. An Irish customer, who goes by the name of dillo2k10, is reporting that his newly-purchased i9300 (not the one coming to Canada) exploded while he was driving. We’re grateful it wasn’t in his pocket as that could have caused an accident, but more importantly we’re not entirely sure why the phone exploded in the first place.
The damage can be seen on the right back near the microUSB slot, so it’s possible that the cord plugged in was providing too much juice, resulting in the explosion. Samsung has already issued a response in an attempt to subdue the bad news:
There have been recent online posts displaying pictures of a Samsung GALAXY SIII that appears to have heat-related damage at the bottom of the device. Samsung is aware of this issue and will begin investigating as soon as we receive the specific product in question.
At this point there’s no reason to be alarmed — it’s only an epidemic if there are multiple defective products such as this. We’ll bring you more as it comes.
Source: The Verge