A few weeks ago Alec Saunders, RIM’s VP of Developer Relations, busted a few BlackBerry Myths. One of them was that developers can’t make money with BlackBerry apps. He stated in a presentation slide that 13% of developers have made over $100,000. In addition, Saunders noted that the BlackBerry App World has more paid downloads than the Android Market, and is the 2nd most profitable app store after Apple.
Earlier this week RIM celebrated the BlackBerry App World’s 3rd birthday, touted that they’ve seen over 2 billion app downloads and has over 70,000 available apps and “tens of thousands” of developers. On the company blog RIM gave a slight insight into the top paid apps since the App World launched in 2009. Unfortunately there’s no confirmed number of downloads for each app, nor how much revenue was generated, but here are the top apps (in no specific order):
– Angry Birds – Rovio Entertainment Ltd.
– BeWeather – Bellshare GmbH
– Color ID for BlackBerry – Motek Americas Inc.
– Shazam Encore for BlackBerry smartphones – Shazam
– BeBuzz – LED Lights And More for BlackBerry smartphones – Bellshare