J.D. Power and Associates released the “2008 Canadian Wireless Customer Satisfaction Study” and found that us Canadian love our Smartphones.
The study was completed in October and surveyed over 15,000 mobile phone users where they were asked to rank contract postpaid service, prepaid service providers, and mobile phone providers in five factors: call quality; billing; service plan options; cost of service; and customer service.
With the strong love for Smartphones also comes the frustration of a data package – only 24% of Canadians report having a data package, a majority of others surveyed do not intend to subscribe to a data package in the near future. The main reasons the study found are: not having a need for Internet access (57%) and the service is too expensive (31%).
Mobile phone satisfaction is measured based on customer ratings of five factors: features; physical design; durability; battery; and operation.
The study found the following stats:
- 25% of wireless users in Canada currently own a smartphone, and more than 65 percent of these users indicate they “definitely will” or “probably will” purchase another smartphone device as their next mobile phone.
- Smartphone users also report being more satisfied with their device compared with traditional mobile phone users, with scores averaging 739 points on a 1,000-point scale among smartphone users, and 692 points among traditional wireless users.
- Smartphone users spend nearly twice as much for their monthly wireless service compared with traditional mobile phone users ($97 vs. $51, respectively).
- Apple ranks highest in customer satisfaction among mobile phone providers with a score of 783.
- Sony Ericsson follows in the ranking with a score of 742.
- BlackBerry ranks third in the segment with 739.
- Koodo Mobile ranks highest with a score of 771 for postpaid wireless service providers (performing
particularly well in cost of service, call quality and billing)
- Virgin Mobile follows Koodo Mobile in the ranking with 752 (performing well in the service plan options factor)
- SaskTel ranks third at 706 with particular strength in customer service.